Wine Culture and Information - Volume 17
Home Page About Us:Write Us:Back Issues:Advertising:Index 
Events Polls Serving Wine EnoForum EnoGames Wine Places Aquavitae Wine Guide


New User Registration I forgot my password
User   Password   
List Messages   View  Sort

Index:Wine Forum: Sauternes  New Post
Author Message
cathy
User



Messages: 42
Wines: 10
Distillates: 0

Joined:
08/04/2004 7:16:28 AM GMT
Quote  Posted: 08/13/2004 5:50:52 PM GMT Next MessageTop of Page
Hello everybody!
I recently heard about a French sweet wine and this friend of mine who was talking about it said it is the best wine in the world. He also said real Sauternes is very expensive and not easy to find. He could not give me more information but he certainly teased my mind.
Do you guys have information on this wine? Is it really the best wine in the world? From what French wine area is from? With what grapes is made of?

See u!
Cathy
antonello
Connoisseurs

Administrator

Messages: 238
Wines: 0
Distillates: 0

Joined:
07/06/2004 11:46:31 AM GMT
Quote  Posted: 08/16/2004 11:53:38 AM GMT Previous MessageNext MessageTop of Page
cathy wrote:
Hello everybody!
I recently heard about a French sweet wine and this friend of mine who was talking about it said it is the best wine in the world. He also said real Sauternes is very expensive and not easy to find. He could not give me more information but he certainly teased my mind.
Do you guys have information on this wine? Is it really the best wine in the world? From what French wine area is from? With what grapes is made of?

See u!

Sauternes is a sweet wine from the region of Bordeaux and named after the main commune where it is produced, Saternes. There is also another sweet wine comparable to Sauternes whose name is Barsac, a commune neighboring Sauternes.
Both wines are mainly made with Sémillon as well as a small part of Sauvignon Blanc and occasionally Muscadelle.
The grapes used for the production of these wines are affected by Botrytis Cinerea - also known as noble rot - which gives wine extraordinary and unique organoleptic qualities.
Good Sauternes or Barsac are usually expensive and it is pretty hard to tell whether these two are the best wines in the world. It is however true that many Sauternes and Barsac are extraordinarily goog like no other wine in this category.
Antonello Biancalana
DiWineTaste
miclan
Enophile



Messages: 120
Wines: 11
Distillates: 3

Joined:
08/02/2004 9:31:29 PM GMT
Quote  Posted: 08/16/2004 5:59:38 PM GMT Previous MessageNext MessageTop of Page
cathy wrote:
Hello everybody!
I recently heard about a French sweet wine and this friend of mine who was talking about it said it is the best wine in the world. He also said real Sauternes is very expensive and not easy to find. He could not give me more information but he certainly teased my mind.
Do you guys have information on this wine? Is it really the best wine in the world? From what French wine area is from? With what grapes is made of?

See u!

Hello Cathy!
I had Sauternes just one time and I was delighted by this charming wine. It is sweet with very strong aromas, supple and absolutely smooth! That Sauternes probably was the best sweet wine I have ever had!
Michele Landolfi
jimmy
User



Messages: 43
Wines: 8
Distillates: 0

Joined:
08/03/2004 11:18:27 AM GMT
Quote  Posted: 08/17/2004 8:06:42 AM GMT Previous MessageNext MessageTop of Page
Sauternes!! We are surely talking about the very best wine of the world!!! Can you guys please tell me about another great wine like Sauternes or Barsac? Well, I love this style of wines!
I would also like to suggest you the wines from Monbazillac. They are not as famous as Sauternes but they are very good.
antonello
Connoisseurs

Administrator

Messages: 238
Wines: 0
Distillates: 0

Joined:
07/06/2004 11:46:31 AM GMT
Quote  Posted: 08/17/2004 11:20:08 AM GMT Previous MessageNext MessageTop of Page
jimmy wrote:
Sauternes!! We are surely talking about the very best wine of the world!!! Can you guys please tell me about another great wine like Sauternes or Barsac? Well, I love this style of wines!
I would also like to suggest you the wines from Monbazillac. They are not as famous as Sauternes but they are very good.

I do agree with you Sauternes, Barsac and Monbazillac are very good, but in my opinion there are other wonderful sweet wines beside the ones from France. A good example is offered by Tokaji Aszu from Hungary.
Besides this - just like any other wine - not all the wines from Sauternes can be considered the best, there also are pretty ordinary wines from that area as well as in other areas of the world. Quality is a concept for which the main responsible is the producer who is helped - of course - by the conditions offered by the area where he or she is located at.
Antonello Biancalana
DiWineTaste
cathy
User



Messages: 42
Wines: 10
Distillates: 0

Joined:
08/04/2004 7:16:28 AM GMT
Quote  Posted: 08/18/2004 8:32:56 AM GMT Previous MessageNext MessageTop of Page
What is this Tokaji Aszu you are talking about? I have never tasted it.
I did not know about the other sweet wines from France you guys mentioned. My friend said Sauternes is an excellent wine and he suggested me to have it. Do you guys know how much is it?
Cathy
joergwein
User



Messages: 42
Wines: 12
Distillates: 0

Joined:
08/06/2004 7:22:20 AM GMT
Quote  Posted: 08/19/2004 8:05:13 AM GMT Previous MessageNext MessageTop of Page
Sauternes is good for sure but you guys seem to forget the great sweet German wines!! How about Trockenbeerenauslese or Eiswein?? I think they are nothing less than Sauternes or Barsac! Once again, these wines are mainly made from Riesling.
Jörg - A passion for Italian wine!
jimmy
User



Messages: 43
Wines: 8
Distillates: 0

Joined:
08/03/2004 11:18:27 AM GMT
Quote  Posted: 08/19/2004 11:15:03 AM GMT Previous MessageNext MessageTop of Page
joergwein wrote:
Sauternes is good for sure but you guys seem to forget the great sweet German wines!! How about Trockenbeerenauslese or Eiswein?? I think they are nothing less than Sauternes or Barsac! Once again, these wines are mainly made from Riesling.

What kind of wines are the ones you mentioned? I do not think I have ever had them. Can you give us more information?
In my opinion Sauternes is a great wine. Of course I am not saying is the best of the world as I understand not all the Sauternes is great.
antonello
Connoisseurs

Administrator

Messages: 238
Wines: 0
Distillates: 0

Joined:
07/06/2004 11:46:31 AM GMT
Quote  Posted: 08/20/2004 5:17:32 PM GMT Previous MessageNext MessageTop of Page
jimmy wrote:
What kind of wines are the ones you mentioned? I do not think I have ever had them. Can you give us more information?
In my opinion Sauternes is a great wine. Of course I am not saying is the best of the world as I understand not all the Sauternes is great.

German sweet wines are among the most delicious examples of the world!! In particular the styles mentioned by Joergwein, Trockenbeerenauslese and eiswein, which are usually affected by Botrytis Cinerea, just like Sauternes.
They are mainly made from Riesling grape and they get such a charming aromas as they age maybe beyond imagination because of their intensity and complexity. Trockenbeerenauslese wines usually are very low in alcohol (about 6-7%) and their acidity is what makes the magic possible: a wonderful balance in perfect harmony with sweetness!
Antonello Biancalana
DiWineTaste
jimmy
User



Messages: 43
Wines: 8
Distillates: 0

Joined:
08/03/2004 11:18:27 AM GMT
Quote  Posted: 08/25/2004 7:35:24 AM GMT Previous MessageNext MessageTop of Page
antonello wrote:
Trockenbeerenauslese wines usually are very low in alcohol (about 6-7%) and their acidity is what makes the magic possible: a wonderful balance in perfect harmony with sweetness!

Isn't this alcohol just too low??? I think the wine would taste flabby and dull. Doesn't this greatly affect the balance as well? How can it be these wines are balanced (like you said) with just so little alcohol and lots of acid??
antonello
Connoisseurs

Administrator

Messages: 238
Wines: 0
Distillates: 0

Joined:
07/06/2004 11:46:31 AM GMT
Quote  Posted: 08/26/2004 6:22:02 PM GMT Previous MessageNext MessageTop of Page
jimmy wrote:
Isn't this alcohol just too low??? I think the wine would taste flabby and dull. Doesn't this greatly affect the balance as well? How can it be these wines are balanced (like you said) with just so little alcohol and lots of acid??

I can tell you for sure the balance of a good Trockenbeerenauslese is so wonderful that you would believe you are in heaven!
You should consider these wines are very sweet and sweetness balances acidity, whereas acidity balances sweetness and alcohol. Lots of sugar and lots of acid = balance, very good balance!
Antonello Biancalana
DiWineTaste
joergwein
User



Messages: 42
Wines: 12
Distillates: 0

Joined:
08/06/2004 7:22:20 AM GMT
Quote  Posted: 08/27/2004 7:41:54 AM GMT Previous MessageNext MessageTop of Page
antonello wrote:
I can tell you for sure the balance of a good Trockenbeerenauslese is so wonderful that you would believe you are in heaven!
You should consider these wines are very sweet and sweetness balances acidity, whereas acidity balances sweetness and alcohol. Lots of sugar and lots of acid = balance, very good balance!

I agree with you antonello. The balance of the best Trockenbeerenauslese is wonderful and the sweetness is well balanced by acidity.
Talking about other styles I also like Auslese wines and, by the way, Sauternes too!
Jörg - A passion for Italian wine!
jimmy
User



Messages: 43
Wines: 8
Distillates: 0

Joined:
08/03/2004 11:18:27 AM GMT
Quote  Posted: 09/07/2004 7:17:20 AM GMT Previous MessageNext MessageTop of Page
antonello wrote:
I can tell you for sure the balance of a good Trockenbeerenauslese is so wonderful that you would believe you are in heaven!
You should consider these wines are very sweet and sweetness balances acidity, whereas acidity balances sweetness and alcohol. Lots of sugar and lots of acid = balance, very good balance!

I guess it is pretty hard for me to realize a wine with so low alcohol can also be balanced. I think I have to try this wine myself in order to understand.
If I am not wrong, alcohol can balance sweetness (I read this in DiWineTaste as well) and if it is true these wines are sweet and have low alcohol, how can it be they are still balanced? Maybe I am missing something in the picture....
wineguy
User



Messages: 40
Wines: 10
Distillates: 0

Joined:
08/02/2004 8:57:04 PM GMT
Quote  Posted: 10/19/2004 5:53:52 PM GMT Previous MessageTop of Page
A friend of mine mentioned this Sauternes wine and he said it is very good. He also added it is very expensive but he could not tell how much. Do you guys know how much is a good Sauternes wine and where it can be usually found here in the US?
Steve

Index:Wine Forum: Sauternes  New Post

 Share this topic   
06/17/2019 12:32:50 AM GMT


DiWineTaste Polls
What kind of wine do you like having in June?


Result   Other Polls

 Share this poll   
In what moment of the day do you usually drink wine?


Result   Other Polls

 Share this poll   
What is the most pleasing aspect in wine tasting?


Result   Other Polls

 Share this poll   


Events Polls Serving Wine EnoForum EnoGames Wine Places Aquavitae Wine Guide
Home Page About Us:Write Us:Back Issues:Advertising:Index 

Privacy Policy

Download your free DiWineTaste Card  :  Test your Blood Alcohol Content  :  Follow DiWineTaste on Follow DiWineTaste on Twitter

Download DiWineTaste
Copyright © 2002-2019 Antonello Biancalana, DiWineTaste - All rights reserved
All rights reserved under international copyright conventions. No part of this publication and of this WEB site may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, without permission in writing from DiWineTaste.